Founded in 1966, the SMTA is the only non-profit independent professional music teaching association in Singapore. SMTA is headed by a committee that is elected from its members. Membership is open to all instrumental and voice teachers ranging from private studios to tertiary schools. Membership is a recognition and support of your teaching profession.
The SMTA is a meeting place for aspiring as well as practising teachers who desire to improve and enhance their current teaching methods and develop a great passion for teaching.
The SMTA aims to stimulate and inspire teachers to the utmost, to help teachers to create original teaching solutions through various kinds of brainstorming opportunities.
- To promote healthy music teaching and learning in Singapore
- To enhance teachers' professional growth and well-being
- For teachers to have a sense of belonging and a common voice in the teaching profession
- To improve and increase people's awareness towards the teaching profession
- For SMTA to be a partner and pillar of support in the music and arts scene
- Inspires a passion for music & the arts
- Seeks to learn continuously
- Keeps the sense of wonder alive
- Cares deeply about the student
- Knowing that life never stands still,
- Urges innovation, individualism, creativity
- Challenges students and helps them find the potential within themselves
- Believes there is no greater calling for influencing the young than being a teacher.